HanKFranK
(User)
Mon Mar 29 2004 06:40 PM
"catarina"

that's what the brazilians have dubbed the storm, after the port city near where it came ashore. i think the jury is probably still out as to exactly how to classify the storm.. on saturday i watched an IR loop and there wasn't much deep convection at all. ssts in the area are a bit low for what we'd look for in the north atlantic (23-25C), though there are plenty of cases where hurricanes made do over cooler water.
not a classical slam dunk hurricane by any means, but i can foresee this storm being used as an example in the future by the enviro types who are convinced the global climate is 'out of control' or something. only response i have is that i don't feel i can stop watching the basin during the off-season, after ana last april and the december duet of odette and peter just recently. pretty convoluted pattern in the western atlantic right now, come to think....
it's about time for gray's early april update. also, nhc didn't retire any names from last year.. had a feeling fabian and isabel might go, surprised that none went. i'd get rid of claudette just on the account that they keep hitting texas.. and no more juans because they always hit land.
back here in.. june? may?
HF 1837z29march

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center