Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Tue Apr 20 2004 12:14 AM
Re: Possible tropical cyclone tryed to form again in the south atlantic?

Rabbit:
Right you are - the South Atlantic has been unique in its tropical activity this winter as a 'split' on the ITCZ was forced far to the south in the western south Atlantic. Normally the ITCZ resides exclusively in the northern hemisphere because of the tilt of the earth's axis, i.e., the Trade Winds in the Northern Hemisphere and the Trade Winds in the Southern Hemisphere collide just north of the Equator and form the ITCZ. Why was it quite different this year - I haven't got the slightest idea - but it did! What might it mean for the north Atlantic season? Also no idea - makes me wonder if Cape Verde waves will dive too far south to amount to much. Things can change a lot though in the next couple of months - its that time of year.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center