Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon May 03 2004 02:38 AM
Re: It looks like la nina developing

Looks like La Nina in the EPAC for now.

I just got back from PCB (shout out to the man, JK) and the Gulf water seemed cold relative to what I'm used to in the last week of April. I've never looked at statistics for average water temperature in NW FL as of those dates, but unless the last few years were warm anomalies, it seemed a lot colder this year. Brrrr. I swam anyway, but not as much as I would have.

What does all this mean for the hurricane season? I don't know. I'm still studying up when I have the chance. Persistently colder SSTA's in the Gulf could put a cap on any activity this year as well as impact individual storm potential.

As for activity on the SA coast, the waters were running warmer than average. It's always suspect that storms will find their way to warm water. Also of note, the NW Atlantic is showing warm pools emerging this year. That's always been a Joe B correlation hypothesis as to western Atlantic activity. Speaking of Joe B., I'm going to have to re-up my subscription for 6 months with the season only 29 days away.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center