HanKFranK
(User)
Sat May 08 2004 08:02 PM
Re: Poll=When and where Alex will form

how about may 9th east of bermuda? i don't really believe that, but there is an interesting (if unfounded and likely laughable) idea in my head at the moment. i don't know a whole lot about cross-equatorial mjo induced twin cyclones, but at this time there is a pair in the indian ocean (23s, and 01a). it struck me that two potential hybrid-type systems are in the atlantic at this time. now, neither is near the equator (east of bermuda an occluded low, hybrid system near the southern brazilian coast).. but the similar longitude placement of these features at the same time an equatorial pair are on an mjo pulse in the indian ocean is striking. the system in the south atlantic.. i checked the back story a little. cnn.com had a story on it may 6, vague on its tropical nature, and yahoo had that posted ap article. i looked at ghcc satelite shots from may 5-7.. it doesn't make a good case for a tropical cyclone.. however today it is starting to. now, its the equivalent of november down there, ssts are cooler, and the system has a hybrid nature i doubt it can shake.. as does the low in the atlantic. i don't know exactly how either will evolve (the altantic system, though currently cut off, is likely to interact with an approaching front).. but i am going to surmise that they will both parrot each other, just out of pure interest. so, if that SA system starts looking tropical, the one east of bermuda should too.. and verse vica.
there are the resources at the unisys archive necessary to look up recent examples of cross-equatorial twins (the recent 2002 triumvirate of pairs, i know of already). maybe i'll take some time and see what i can dig up. 2002 was an el nino year, but a fairly active one. i don't see an el nino taking shape this fall.. though 2002 may be a worthy addition as an analog. in spite of el nino it stayed dry here in the southeast.. like it looks to be headed right now.
i'll totally blow my chances at getting the poll target date right, but here goes: sunday, may 9th.
HF 2101z08may

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center