Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Tue May 11 2004 02:14 AM
Re: subtropics

Still no update from TSR, however, NOAA does have an ENSO update. Here is a link to a global SST loop. Let the loop continue to run and eventually a slide-show type of update should appear. It indicates neutral conditions for three more months. My own thoughts are that neutral ENSO will exist at least through October - thus having no impact one way or another on the upcoming tropical Atlantic season (although I'm sure that other factors will). Notice that the SST anomalies are below normal over the entire GOM and that this has happened in just the last couple of weeks. Also just about the entire north Atlantic anomaly has gone from slightly positive to zero in the same time period - interesting.
I'll try to give some thoughts to analog years in a new main page article this weekend.

Global SST Animation

Oh, and to throw my (tropical storm force) WAG into the wind, I'll pick July 31st (plus or minus one week) for Alex.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center