LI Phil
(User)
Wed May 26 2004 11:50 PM
Re: Haiti/Dominican Deaths

hr, welcome to the boards. I am well aware of the number of deaths and destruction caused by Mitch. My point was that since then, I don't believe any Altantic storm (hurricane or TS) has killed as many as the unnamed system now spinning the fishes. As HF pointed out, rain and flooding can be very deadly, particularly in impoverished/hilly areas such as DR/Haiti & Nicaragua/Hondouras. It's just horrible what happened this past week. And as for Haiti, you really have to feel for the people. Most of them live in horrific poverty and have spent countless years under the oppresive reign of Aristide, who we finally got rid of this winter. I'll bet the death toll would have been even higher were it not for the presence of US troops (and their medical supplies & equipment), sent there to help reconstruct the country after Aristide's ouster.

Hopefully Hispaniola will be spared more drenching in the coming days...they certainly don't need any more rains...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center