Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon May 31 2004 12:35 AM
Re: Anyone see Roland Stedham today? re: dry may

Actually, there is research done my Jim Lushine at NWS MIA that correlates wet and dry May weather to (major) hurricane strike probability for S. Fl. Jim presented his finding recently and they are:

In re: 24 wettest Mays in Miami== number of major hurricane strikes in those years in S. Fla= ZERO

In re: 20 driest Mays= 7 strikes.

The driest was in 1965 (Betsy)

2nd driest was 1935 (Great Labor Day Hurricane)

3rd Driest was 1992 (Andrew)

Fifth driest was 1945 (Major Hurricane in S Fl).

This May will go into the books (assuming it doesn't rain on Memorial Day in MIA) as the FOURTH Driest.

I don't know about June (not too soon, I suspect, as Bobbi says)..but...there is a a much higher than normal probability of a hurricane/major hurricane in S. Fl this year, based on all available information, periodicity and trends.

sc

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center