Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Jun 01 2004 02:31 PM
Steve, throw out the first pitch, time to play ball

Good point Jav about hurricane having their own unique personalities, I agree with that statement 100% having experience my first one with Betsy in 65.

Hey Steve, my hurricane-tracking guru neighbor in N'Awlins, another hurricane season kicking off again, awesome!!! I sure am looking forward to another interesting year to say the least, and get some great observations and predictions from you and the rest of the gang that frequents the CFHC board. Also look forward to those great pixs from you if you get any hot tropical action over your way. You and I both have gotten our fair share the past couple of season haven’t we? Will the string continue? Time will tell! Oh Steve, also just bought a half gallon of Crown, thus completing my storm preparations…

To stay or not to stay? That could be the question of the day, as nothing seems rather too imminent in the tropics at the moment. Living on the beach in Biloxi my house sits 20 feet above sea level, so it would take a Cat 5 storm to put water in my house… and since I’ve already experience a Cat 5 with Camille (remember, you only get that Cat 5 once in a lifetime) then I’m not to worried about seeing another one again. Chances are that I’ll ride out any type storm on the coast, excluding perhaps another Cat 5. Family will evacuate for anything above a strong 2 (but also depends on what side of the storm I will be on, west side of the center with north winds are really not much of a deal for me unless we’re in the eye wall), but since I built the house I’m living in, I’m reasonably sure that unless one of them big oak in the front yard falls on it, I should be OK regardless of any expected wind velocities. However, I would never recommend anyone to ride out a hurricane, especially if they have not experienced a major hurricane. Heck, even Cat 2 can be rather hectic and scary too.

I am looking for another above average season, and as has been the case for the past two seasons, that direct hit for New Orleans, only because from a probability standpoint they are well past due… Miami Fl is also due (IMO), so those are my two ground zero areas for this season…(just another crap shoot prediction on my end) and it’s just a matter of time before a major storm hits a densely populated area, maybe this will be the year, hopefully not.

Anyone want a beach front view of a storm, call me as reservations must be made 48 hours in advance or else the police will probably not allow you access to highway 90! But bring proof of life insurance. All major credit cards accepted!

Hopefully it will be all in fun this year and no one will experience any major damage, I know I don’t want any more damage on my house from storms. But living on the coast is just part of the risk, and as we all know, sure worth it!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center