LI Phil
(User)
Tue Jun 01 2004 02:31 PM
LI should be clear this year...

Happy Hurricane Season to all. Seems like just yesterday all the weather watchers were posting up a storm...oh, wait, that WAS yesterday.

Like Steve said a few posts ago, we should look forward to the usual suspects returning to the boards now. Shout out to Frank P., whom I'm sure will be with us shortly, as well as all the others whose names are too many to mention.

I know some of you, especially a couple who live on the gulf, in Old Metairie and Mobile (shout out to CAT V Rick), want to ride out a CAT III, I for one want no part of such...unless I'm in a real solid MOTEL, miles away from my home, with emergency generator power, drinkin' and watchin' the 20' waves; for that, I'd sit thru a CAT III. Wouldn't want to ride it out in my own home...

As far as Long Island, most of the pundits feel we'll be spared any hits this year, and that's good. I'm not particularly worried about where I live, as I'm about 9 miles inland. However, my Aunt owns a summer home in East Hampton, which is quite at risk for anything coming up the coast. I "volunteer" to watch the home whenever anything threatens us. If ever anything like the '38 LI Express were to recur, though, the house would be under 20' of water. I wouldn't be staying for that. If anyone is wondering where East Hampton is, it is located on the south fork of LI, about 10 miles from Montauk (which is the END) of LI. In fact, my new avitar is the Montauk Point lighthouse, which I visited for the umpteenth time this weekend, and took that very photo.

OK, enough babbling...everyone be safe and have your tracking charts at the ready. If all pans out, we'll be having an active year.

Cheers & Peace,

LI Phil

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center