LI Phil
(User)
Tue Jun 01 2004 09:05 PM
For Jim & Luis

Floyd was but a mere shell of himself when he arrived...told this story before, but for the newer members: Met Jim Cantore at Point Lookout (near Jones Beach) during Floyd. Pretty cool...my brush with greatness. We got almost no rain but the wind was blowing the sand pretty hard. After each live shot, JC would go back into his trailer...but not after taking a good 10 minutes to chat it up with all the weather loonies who had gathered to see the man. Real nice guy. Took some 14 year old kid aside and talked with him and his dad for a good 10 minutes. The kid had the same anamometer as Cantore! Only the kid's was measuring 50+ MPH while JC's was only registering in the 30s! (What's up with that). Anyhoo, that was Floyd for me.

As for Bob in '91, I was the only one in my office to go to work, so the whole day I looked out at the wind and rain. Neither of which was too bad. Way out east, where I was not, it was much worse. Bob just clipped the eastern end of LI, so NE got it pretty bad.

I won't go into Gloria, but lets suffice it to say that if a female storm heads my way, I may be headed the other (no offense to the ladies on this site).

Finally, finally, finally, I took the plunge and got Accuweather Pro. Man are there a lot of features, some of which I don't quite even understand. But I had to get Joe B. Almost signed up for Accuweather Premium but that doesn't include Joe. Good thing I read the differences between the two before buying. Hope it lives up the the hype.

So along with Steve, if anyone wants to know what Joe has to say, I can paraphrase or repost small portions for the viewing audience. He was terse (if that term can actually apply to Joe) today, and here's a snippet:

"But that ridge means business and I don't have any changes as to how the next ten days evolve with that. The ridge fights off the trof and a split develops that leaves a subtropical trof over the Gulf near 90 west that may back next week. This opens up the Gulf to a deep southeast flow of rich, warm air from South America and the western Caribbean, and this is something that will have to be watched for possible tropical troubles, if not with some storm, then with at least the influx of moist, unstable air for non-frontal produced thunderstorms."

So, great people of the south, get ready for some fun next week.

Cheers & Peace,

LI Phil

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center