LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Fri Jun 04 2004 11:40 PM
low trackers like Camille

I'm sure many of those storms that formed close in came in under the radar so to speak..or there was no radar.

I mean.. do we know where the 1935 storm that came out of nowhere..from a small tropical storm blew up magically?

More a case with old storms that if a storm formed in a forest where there was no one... no one knew til it was on top of them.

Have my own thoughts on the 1935 storm but thats for another day.

As for Camille... actually pretty common I would say for an early wave which it was to make it in another pond. If they sent in recon in the Western Carib on 8/14 one would have to imagine it came off Africa several days earlier.. a week earlier would be 8/7 which is way before Peak of the Season or prime time for Cape Verde Storms. Of course they do form earlier than Sept ... Donna would have rolled off late in August as she came to Miami early September.. but I believe Donna formed far out there.

Sometimes I guess storms just sneak up on you.

Think to ask Ed or Hank what the numbers say as to where storms BOMB out or up whatever the phrase is fastest. Have heard they have a tendency to do that in the W. Carib (Gilbert, Allen, Camille, Mitch) more so than other areas.. but not sure.

Anyway...have a great weekend.
Anyone gets a chance go to Neil Frank's website in Houston and read the history article.. done a few years back, great hurricane reading. Hurricane's touched that man in such a deep personal way as opposed to a scientific observer.

Soupy summery weather here btw in Miami.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center