Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jun 14 2004 07:40 PM
Tropical Disturbance...

The low is still firing up down in the Gulf, but it's chumpy. It appears the worst of the weather will be over lower Jefferson, Plaquemines and St. Bernard Parishes in LA and perhaps Hancock & Harrison Counties in Missisippi. Several areas around the metro (mostly just NE and WNW) have gotten upwards of 5-8" since they reset the storm total Sunday morning. While we all know Doppler Radar can overdo rainfall estimates, it is also known to underestimate rainfall estimates sometimes as well. I think a general 3-6" will be legit when all is said and done. There's a nice training band that appears to be moving due north and lining up due south of New Orleans. If that sucker held together, it would be a 4" boost EASILY. But tropical rains usually peter out once they get inland and away from the center of circulation as new showers/bands form over water. We'll see if that pans out, because that's all my last 4 Abitas have riding on for tonight.

Otherwise, skies are grey and it's a little breezy out. It's certainly comfortable here for a June day. I was hoping we'd get some flooding rains so I could upload a picture, but it didn't happen.

Of further note, Joe B did mention that there's a shot that the wave approaching the Lesser Antilles could become a gulf concern in 7-10 days. He said it probably won't develop in the next few days though. He's got his hurricane forecast ready and delivered it today to the natural gas symposium he's speaking at down here. The only hints he gave were that it will be a "very active landfalling year." He'll have the details on-line when he gets back to PA in a week or so, so if you're interested in their 30 day free trial, check it out. He did note that he needed "Rock You Like a Hurricane" for the delivery of his forecast.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center