Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Tue Jun 15 2004 12:00 AM
My Two Cents Worth

This Gulf system , like many Gulf systems, was both complex and poorly defined but I do believe that a LLCC closed off around 17Z and moved inland near Point Chevreuil (to Centerville - that should bring out an atlas or three), LA, at 21Z this afternoon. The system moved steadily almost due north (010 degrees) from 16Z to 22Z. I'd estimate that sustained winds were around 25 knots in a very small area near the center from 17Z to 22Z, with small banding and plenty of convection - thus a Tropical Depression. What made the situation complex was an additional two open circulation centers that were also easy to track for a few hours (unfortunately I left all of the coordinate info at work). Anyway, there was enough evidence for a short-lived TD this afternoon - but it will not be recorded as such. LI Phil actually came mighty close with his prediction.

Regarding the May event, I'd have to side with NHC on that one. There indeed was a low, but I'm pretty certain that it never closed off, i.e., it was open to the south.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center