HanKFranK
(User)
Mon Jun 21 2004 12:09 AM
Re: soi, anomalies and such

steve, i need to get my thinking straight. SOI telegraphed the mean bermuda ridge strength somewhat, if i remember correctly. also there was something about how it altered the sst trends in the equatorial pacific. wasn't it negative SOI meant westerly flow, positive SOI meant easterly flow? and didn't westerly mean trend to warming ENSO? gotta help me out here.. i understood it at one time..
i've been looking at old global sst anomaly charts, comparing them to what we've been seeing so far this year. two that look most familiar are 1990 and 2003, to this year. wouldn't i just pick a pair of active years...
actually with the neutral signal it's hard to have a definitive feel. if el nino is coming on, it's going to have to hurry to cap the season. right now it's all systems go for an active year. james' mention of the quiet eastpac is also something to consider. that's if it keeps up (ten days to go for a no-storm june).
every year it's something different.
HF 0009z21june

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center