Kevin
(Weather Master)
Thu Jun 24 2004 05:36 PM
Re: jb

Checking in...things are still quiet...

Yes, I have Accuwx Pro service as well. I read the forecast this morning, and honestly my jaw just about dropped when I saw his intensity ratings and highest landfall risk areas. Looks my area could be in for some action this season if the western Florida ideas in JB's forecast verify !

Top three highest threat areas are Florida WC, NC Coast, and Texas, as Steve said. And the interesting thing is, SE Florida has a very average chance of getting hit this year. Heck, even Jason, Rob and I didn't see anything about SE Florida chances that really stood out for this season. That's not saying it can't happen though.

The most compelling evidence (imo) that he cited came with the impending negative PDO. Basically, US landfalling activity skyrocketed from the 40's to the 60's when the PDO was negative. This oscillation has been trending towards negative since December, and it is believed amongst some meteorologists that the negative phase of this oscillation will cause more severe landfalling hurricane activity in the next 20 years.

Hey, with all of the activity we've been having since 1995, eventually we are going to have to see a string of seasons where the landfalls are just as incredible as the activity levels. It's bound to happen eventually. Could that sort of thing happen this season?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center