h2ocean
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Jul 03 2004 02:52 AM
Preparations

Since it is still slow out there and we are not tracking any storms...figure I would throw something out there to talk about. How many people have taken precautions for their homes? Have you installed hurricane panels, added a "safe room", modified your roof, etc?

We had our house built about 1.5 years ago and it meets the new local hurricane code...actually the builder choose the hurricane code for the next county to the south which is more stringent. All walls are concrete block (steel reinforced w/ poured concrete). Upon completion I had all windows fitted with the stronger .063 aluminum panels - direct mount - and the patio covered with Armor Screen - a really cool product but a little expensive (www.armorscreen.com). I also had them include a single clear insert panel for some of the windows so I can see outside (for stronger storms such at a cat 3 or more I wouldn't put this in and I would evacuate). The garage door is rated at 130 mph but I still had it fitted for panels (figure if we have a major storm, it would get dented badly).

Also, what is the threshold most of you would evacuate...I would stay up to a Cat 3..we are on an island which would be cut-off to emergency response. Having a child makes a difference...otherwise I would stay through a Cat 4 for which the house is supposed to be able to withstand.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center