Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Jul 14 2004 09:18 PM
Re: A repeat of 1998?

That's correct James. Georges ultimately went in on the Mississippi Coast in either Harrison or Jackson County, MS (Biloxi-Ocean Springs-Pascagoula) after giving us a scare here in New Orleans. I correctly predicted to my wife that we'd see winds of about 50mph and maybe .25" of rainfall out of the system. That didn't stop her from freaking as all her friends kept calling telling her to "get out" as they had their kids safely tucked away. We rode it out anyway after I told her I wasn't going anywhere except to the store for more beer.

However, due to the strong northerly flow across the area, many camps on the Southshore of Lake Pontchartrain and Brunnings Seafood Restaurant at West End were completely destroyed by waves. The city lost power and was in chaos. I'm just west of the city and all we lost was cable for an hour or so that Monday morning. The Superdome was used as a last resort shelter for the inner-city poor and they plundered everything from cannisters of fountain softdrinks to some of the seating in the Superdome itself. It was unbelievable.

Many able-bodied residents evacuated because of the recent memory of Frances which dumped torrential rains on our area a week or two prior as it spun off the coast of South Texas. Also, we got TS Hermine that year directly overhead. The problem with Hermine was that all her convection was displaced east of Mobile Bay. That was a waste of a tropical storm.

For other Georges references, check out the page below. The Hurricane Hunters actually got some good photos of Georges' lightshow (lights & sprites as they call it). You can follow the links from the linked site below:

http://www.hurricanehunters.com/georges.htm

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center