Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 26 2004 02:47 PM
Re: for Old Sailor...: The Gulf

Tend to agree Dave. I've been holding out hope for the last buncha days, but it doesn't seem like it's gonna crank. It was a wave I enjoyed tracking, but it never could get its act together. I'm tending to agree that it should be Mex/Tex moisture (some models over the last few days have it moving up NNE-NE through Texas once inland a couple hundred miles in Mexico. Weather's weird here today. It feels like fall almost. Temps are 84 and sunny - not bad for a late July morning.

98L seems to be enjoying the Gulf Stream. It's either the 2nd or 3rd Depression of the year in my book. Whether or not NHC chooses to classify it or not remains to be seen. It could go either way, but with Dvorak up to 2.0/2.0, one would think they'll at least consider it. The Bermuda High is pretty far west and this most likely kept the coast dry.

For this week, the thing to watch will be the wave NW of Puerto Rico as it retrogrades into the North Central Gulf. The UK Met and especially the ECMWF (European Model) like a fairly substantial wave moving into Texas later this week. That would teleconnect nicely to what's going on in the WPAC with the Typhoon moving west at 30 North.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center