LI Phil
(User)
Mon Aug 02 2004 03:04 PM
Some thoughts on Alex...

SHIPS model guidance jacks Alex up to 83 mph in 36 hours and 86 mph in 48 hours. Although this may be high, SHIPS has outperformed NHC's official forecasts. Why just yesterday, NHC wasn't predicting anything above 40 mph and this morning it's up to 60.

I believe Alex will reach hurricane status by 24 hours, if not sooner. Whether NHC will actually classify it as such remains to be seen...this could have an affect on everyone's numbers. JB has opined that under optimal strengthening conditions, Alex could exceed 100 mph(!). He's not predicting that...merely mentioning the possibility. Used the same analogy as with 90L...the rock up the hill. Well, in this case, it seems as though Alex has pushed the rock to the top of the hill, and the rock is about to tumble down.

Alex should begin a slow northward, then northeastward movement, and then take off rather quickly after that, barely missing landfall in SC. Winds are starting to pick up away from the center and it appears on radar that an eye is forming. I don't believe too many TS's form eyes...that's for 'canes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see hurricane watches go up at the next advisory...

Will be interesting to see what happens...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center