Rich B
(British Meteorologist)
Tue Aug 03 2004 09:25 AM
Re: Hurricane Alex strengthens further

Looks like the Outer Banks may escape by the skin of their teeth! As long as the track doesnt shift left Alex's dangerous core should remain just offshore. However, i do expect somewhere along the coast to experience hurricane force wind gusts. The eye seems better defined on Radar from Wilmington now than an hour ago too, so perhaps Alex could strengthen a little more. If he carries on strengthening he could possibly make it near Cat 2 intensity later today.

Even though the TNumbers for 91L may have dropped a little, its appearance is excellent, and i think we will see it classified today. I am guessing the only reason it wasnt classified at 0900z is that they may be waiting for the visibles to try and see if that sheds more light on the structure and intensity of this one. Think the islands should watch it very closely!

Regards

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center