Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Wed Aug 04 2004 03:39 AM
My Thoughts on TD2

Not a popular position, but I don't think that it ever has been a Tropical Depression. Too many factors are missing. No west wind that I could detect - the Islands may soon confirm that. No established center - bouncing all over the place - still is. Convection still disorganized and has not improved much in the past two days - the rapid forward speed has kept development in check.

Probably will remain a TD or an open wave for the next two days. Strong westerly shear will see to that. Dry air ahead of the system really isn't all that dry, so that's a plus. Low shear zone around the wave itself is travelling with the system - also a plus.

I still think that this system, if it can survive the next couple of days, will make it to TS status - probably late Thursday or early Friday. With the rapid movement and a weak center further south than currently officially indicated, I just can't accept the 'cruise to Bermuda' scenario, i.e., I like Door #3.

Its a 'wait and see' for the next couple of days. There is a small chance that it might make TS status before then, but if it does, it will not intensify significantly until Friday or Saturday.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center