Clark
(Meteorologist)
Tue Aug 10 2004 04:17 PM
Re: Cantore?

A thought.

Bonnie is forecast to be accelerating NE in the 4 day time frame or so. Tropical cyclones interacting with midlatitude boundaries can often leave behind a boundary of their own - or at least keep the one that recurved it around for awhile. We saw this with the trailing bands from Alex & the front it got caught by, for instance.

With this boundary in place and another forecast to be diving southward, I'm not sure I can see the western GoM in too much peril from Charley unless it remains a relatively weak system - in which case it doesn't react to the steering flow and continues WNW-bound. Charley is expected to be in the NW Carib./SE GoM around the 4-5 day time frame and, assuming at least a moderate tropical storm by then, would tend to get caught up and recurve.

How much and when are still yet to be determined. But, as the NHC noted, there is good consistency out to 72hr amongst the models - which all performed well with Isabel on track last year - but they diverge at later times. The models that keep it weaker trend west, the models that develop it trend east. The NHC is going with the latter and I tend to agree. But again, it's so far out that things can (and probably will) change, so these are just my thoughts for now.

This whole pattern is more reminiscent of October than August, at least it seems.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center