RedingtonBeachGuy
(Moderator)
Tue Aug 10 2004 11:20 PM
Preparations - West Coast Florida Lag

A few have posted about the potential for damages along the west coast of Florida if a Cat 2 or larger hit and they are highly accurate. Not only does this area not have any experience with significant storms, most are recent transplants and have absolutely no clue.

Interestingly, few are taking any early precautions here. Home Depot closest to the beach was almost empty this eve as I went in to grab 50 bags of sand and 100 sand bags from the brand new display. Sure, might be early - but if nothing else, my child ends up with a sandbox to die for with the plywood, sand, and 2x6's I purchased if nothing happens.

Since I have weathered 2 storms here over the last 30 years, I realize few will make any moves until it is too late. And, that is why the potential for damage in this area will be so severe.

I urge folks from Ft. Meyers north to start thinking pro-actively about securing your property. Sure, in 3 days anything can happen.. but if it doesn't change and we see only 100 mph winds here, there will be much flooding and wind damage.. much, much more than folks think. These 50's homes (that mostly sit at 3 1/2' above sea level) haven't seen 100 mph winds since the 70's when many roofs were laying in the bay.

Here is to early prep (picking up a Corona knowing I am ready)!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center