h2ocean
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 10 2004 11:40 PM
Re: Preparations - West Coast Florida Lag

I know what you mean...anytime there is a threat here in East-Central FL, everyone waits until the last minute. Apparently there is some sort of "legend" around here that the Cape (Cape Canaveral) keeps storms away from this area. Granted, there has not been a major storm here since the late 1800's (just a few Cat 1 and 2) but that is just luck!

I live in a new subdivision and only 4 out of 112 homes have hurricane shutters (I of course am one out of the 4). The windows used in the houses are rated for 140mph but that is not for impact...so everyone thinks...wow our windows will stand up to 140mph - not!

I selected the heaviest aluminum panels for the doors and windows w/ clear lexan inserts (for weaker storms so I can see outside) and armour screen for may patio.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center