Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Wed Aug 11 2004 03:55 PM
Tampa Preparations

Well, let me put it this way. After I dropped off Thing 1 and Thing 2 at camp, I decided to go to Publix to stock up on some extra stuff. I saw maybe about 20 cars in the parking lot and most of the people were buying things other than hurricane supplies. I think that people are not preparing because we get all excited and then nothing happens. My gut feeling is this is going to be a big surprise for people tonight and tomorrow. I think people tend to forget that we are not that far from the GOM and depending on how close Charley gets to us, we could get hurricane strength winds. Do you know how many mobile homes there are in Polk County? TONS. On the bright side, it only took me 35 minutes to get what I needed and some cash, too.

In Hillsborough County, they are handing out 20-25 sandbags per household at local fire departments.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center