doug
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 12 2004 01:02 PM
Re: Bonnie Stays a Tropical Storm Changes in Charley Track

Going to be monitoring this site today but probably not posting too much...already note much spec. about the "changes in the NHC track and prediction os a big shift to the left"...don't bet the farm...yesterday I gave in to what the NHC guys are saying and they have been within a pretty well defined envelope all along on both these systems and proved to be correct so far...the envelope for error in the short term is now rapidly diminishing...and the sattelite data clearly shows how that "river of air" which these things flow through is funneling over the Florida peninsula...doesn't take a computer to see that Charley will impact Florida gulf coast...big changes now are deflection of 30-40 miles either side of the current line, but because of the oblique angle of approach and the general NNW slant of the Florida coast line.. that could only spell more trouble for folks on the right side of the path...lets face it what is better a direct hit where one passes through a 10-15 mile wide eyewall in a matter of minutes or being in the eye wall for an hour as the storm center grazes past you area about 20 miles to your west??? and what about the constant thrust of water now estimated to be 8-10 feet above normal levels during the progress of the storm past you only a few mils off shore. The Florida coasts worst night mare in my opinion is a CAT 2 or 3 that grazes along the coast just off shore and pounds the coastal area with hurricane force winds for hours and all that water...
As for me, I'm deferring to NHC on this one...so far it has all come to pass as they predictied unfortunately...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center