Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Aug 12 2004 06:27 PM
Re: Bonnie Stays a Tropical Storm Changes in Charley Track

Back from St. George Island...

Well, we're left feeling like Bonnie stood us up at the altar or something. We arrived around 10:45pm and met with the TWC crew - we were at the same places they were/are there. All of the data we had before leaving and all of the discussions we had with people in Tallahassee & Orlando said we were in the right spot. And we were, to tell the truth. Except Bonnie decided to die out overnight.

Here, we go thinking I'll call at 2am and get some good data saying Bonnie's strengthening or holding it's own - the diurnal cycle - yet I hear dramatic weakening. We sneak some sleep between 3 and 4:45a before getting into position for landfall.

Our winds generally were between 10 and 15kt, maybe 20kt on avg. during the last rainband. The highest gust we recorded was about 21kt, but TWC measured a 31mph wind in my presence. Three good rainbands, a couple of moderate ones sandwiching a weak one, and that was it. The center turned east near the coast, tantalizing us with the "good stuff" but bringing in bright skies in it's wake.

We left before the sun fully came out at SGI, but it was starting to when we did leave. Got back to Tallahassee and saw the reports - that pink pool toy visible in the background was largely untouched by the wind until we actually lifted it up. Kinda depressing because we expected more, but we had a lot of fun nonetheless, had an encounter with TWC groupies (a scary bunch, lol), and took some photos and video as Bonnie tried to come ashore, likely as a hybrid system.

Now time to watch Charley, though I doubt I'm going to head after that one...Bonnie's going to help to pick it up, I think.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center