alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:33 AM
Re: charlie

While I would not call this storm a joke in any manner, I have been really surprised at how close to the center we had to get before we got any winds. I live northwest of Orlando and we just started getting gusty winds. The talk leading up to this storm had tropical storm force winds up to 100 miles was from the center. I don't think I've gotten tropical storm force winds except for about five minutes during the first squall. I'm sure I'll get more, but I'm pretty sure if you're not 30 miles close to the center, it's not going to be worse than an afternoon thunderstorm. Those near the center are going through hell, and I don't underestimate the power of that.
I'm just surprised at how small the wind radius is. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable might be able to discuss why the wind radius became so small.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center