Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:43 AM
Re: Charley's future

Temperatures from the buyos from the Natl. Data Buoy Center (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov) show that water temperatures are fairly steady offshore at between 80.5 and 82 degrees, getting cooler north of Cape Hatteras. They are also slightly cooler a bit closer to shore. Interesting to note that one of the buoys off of NC failed due to Hurricane Alex!

Not sure where recon is - a flight was scheduled to take off at 2145z and investigate between 0z and 6z, partially over land, but that has not happened. The next recon, over water, was scheduled for takeoff at about 0645z; I think this will probably be the next flight into the storm. The investigation is supposed to have fixes at 9z, 12z, and 15z - so it may be overnight before we get another read on Charley.

Models do look at SSTs, but remember that most of these are global models and not tropical models. The oceans aren't as important of a consideration in these models, nor are there many sources of data over the waters (due to the inherent lack of observing sites), meaning these observations and forecasts may not be so good. No global models can pick up a hurricane - the storm has to be put into the model. But, track forecasts are usually decent and intensity forecasts from the specialized models are usually decent as well, yet there remains room for improvement.

Rest is definitely a good thing, and I think I'm about to go get some myself. Good luck everyone, and here's hoping Earl isn't long for the coast either. Something tells me it is, however.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center