bsnyder
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 06:51 PM
Evacuations

I am still stunned at the number of friends and neighbors I have here in South Tampa who were ordered to evacuate, and chose not to. Today, I guess they're thinking they are pretty clever, because they think they spared themselves the inconvenience of packing up and leaving for what turned out to be a false alarm.

In reality, they aren't clever at all. It was just total dumb luck. If the storm had stayed on track, and come up the mouth of Tampa Bay, these people would have been in grave danger, and at the very least, would have had a terrifying experience.

Hopefully, the heartbreaking pictures and videos from Charley's devestation will change some minds for next time, but I'm afraid all that will happen is additional complacency.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center