alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Aug 15 2004 04:54 PM
More thoughts on Charlie

Wow. I just took a drive to the office downtown. It was amazing where you hit a line and there started to be a lot more damage. Lots of trees down downtown and lots of signs blown out. A few roofs off, but looks like typical catagory 1 damage.

The very interesting thing is my mother and my best friend experienced a completely different storm just four to five miles to my east, if that much. There, the center passed over them in Maitland and then Altamonte Springs. The wind was blowing hard and then it quit. it turned slightly breezy and very humid. About 20 minutes later, the wind blew hard from the other direction, but that didn't last long.

Here on the east side of Apopka, we had some hard winds for about 20 minutes. There is little damage except for a tree that snapped in half across the street. That tree was almost dead anyway.

My friend who was on Pine Island survived the storm. We have heard from him. Nearly every structure on the island is damaged. Most of his house is gone. He had his first meal since Friday today. A hot dog provided by red cross. Watching the radar, the eye brushed the north end of the island on the way to Charlotte Harbor.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center