Ricreig
(User)
Mon Aug 16 2004 03:15 PM
Re: news coverage

Quote:

It seems odd that the press is all over Punto Gorda and not too much out of Port Charlotte.
Any ideas why?

Frankly, they probably can't get there yet, at least not en-mass.

I live in Orlando, the Eye went right over where I was...the savage wind, the calm, the even more savage wind, the whole number. I am at my Technical Institute where I am a teacher trying to catch up with what the world saw from the outside while I and several million Floridians caught in the middle watched from within. While Charley doesn't compare to Camille whiich I also witnessed from close up, here in Orlando on the East Side of town, we caught the winds of 87 sustained and gusting to 105. I live in a trailer park....'bout 1pm on Friday, I stopped believing the TPC and started believing my eyes, experience and 'gut feelings' and decided to pack what I could save and evacuate. Many of my neighbors didn't listen when I told them to do the same....more than a few now are forceced to evacuate their now destroyed homes and mobile homes in my 'Shadow Hills' mobile home park. Those of us who still have a tin box to go back to all sustained damage, mine, mostly was caused by pieces of a couple down a ways that was totaled. We are without power and all that implies including water and sewer. I am glad to have a refrigerator...I am not glad to have to had to throw out hundreds of dollars worth of food...already starting to rot. My friends house in South Orlando where I spent the night, lost a patio cover/roof, a large tree decided to go swimming in his pool and the squirrels now have a direct path to his roof and of course to the pool. Power is down everywhere, traffic lights are maybe 40% back in service, but immediately after the storm, none, I mean literally none, seemed to survive in the wake of the center and dozens of planes at Executive Airport near my mobile home were destroyed or damaged including a DC-3 from WW-2. The cops, individually, have done a fine job, standing out in the major intersections trying to handle thousands of cars that came over here from Tampa when they thought they were going to be the bullseye. No gas is left at many stations and way over 2/3 of the stations I've been by are without power, and the ones that do remind me of the early 1972 gas embargo with lines of cars 50 or more deep lining the streets waiting their turn. More than one car in line is empty with the driver walking with a small gas can...they ran out of gas waiting in line...

So, don't fault the media, I'm sure the Port Charolette and surrounding areas are MUCH worse than here in the Orlando area, and we are 'walking wounded' ourselves....give it a bit of time....

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center