RedingtonBeachGuy
(Moderator)
Tue Aug 17 2004 12:06 AM
Re: Stories

On Aug 7th I questioned if Charlie was going to make the turn towards Tampa.. he did. On Aug 11th we boarded up and ran to Orlando before the rush. Glad we did as our beloved Gov. forgot to invoke the National Guard to make I-4 one way.

In Orlando, we stayed at the Residence Inn at Lake Buena Vista and, as you know now, the eye went right over us. A weather channel reporter reported gusts at 95 mph there - 75 mph sustained. Trees were knocked down and the roof of some adjoining motels lost tiles, but overall the staircases were full of hotel guests and we all were fine.

The hotel provided free dinners and breakfasts which was very nice. They also gave us flashlights and glow sticks in case the power went out - but it never did. To top it off, drinks were free the 12th from 5 - 6 pm.

Observation: DOT needs to open major Intrastate roads for the first 4 hours of daylight the day after a storm for emergency vehicles and utility vehicles. I-4 was ridiculously packed with over 250 tree, electric, and emergency vehicles trying to get south to the damaged areas. Folks returning to Pinellas, Hillsborough, and other outlying counties could have easily waited till 10 am to start their trek home thus allowing the needed workers a free ride on the roads.

FYI: I took the turnpike to 50 and over to I-75 and cruised all the way home from Orlando with no stopping.

I returned to find only 9 homes (one of which was mine) boarded up on the barrier islands here (Madeira Beach, Redington Beach, Treasure Island, etc..). Some might have pulled it before I returned at 2 pm Saturday but I doubt many did that fast. One of my neighbor's here said he didn't care - 'that's why I pay high insurance rates' he said as he sat in the outdoor furniture that would have become missles if the hurricane hit.

Considering the amount of energy that passed from west to east, we are very lucky the death toll is as low as it is. I made a donation to the Red Cross and hope all that read this will do the same.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center