BillD
(User)
Tue Aug 17 2004 01:38 AM
Re: Stories

Although it was a long time ago, it seems like yesterday as I can't help but remember back to Andrew reading all these stories, I remember the lines waiting for gas and for ice, my homeless firends and familiy, the National Guard checkpoints, the incessant helicopters, I could go on and on.

My uncle who lives NW of Arcadia and everyone in the small community he lives in (just a few houses out in the middle of nowhere) are all OK, and their homes are mostly OK, although they have not been able to check out my uncle's house because there is 10 feet of water between where they are and his house (they live in the flood plain of Horse Creek, a tributary of the Peace River and it floods all the time). My cousin drove up early Sunday morning and took them a pickup truck full of supplies, they had another friend who was bringing them three generators this morning (they live so far from town and the entire power system was knocked out so it will be a long time). The only other sad thing is that most of the trees are down, I know that sounds petty after hearing about people injured and worse, and I can't begin to describe this place that he lives, but it was full of old, twisted, huge oak trees, a really beautiful place, and it sounds like it is flattened. This is what had the most effect on me after Andrew, the destruction of entire forests that had taken hundreds of years to grow.

Bill

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center