Ricreig
(User)
Tue Aug 17 2004 11:46 AM
Re: news coverage

Quote:

A tough story about the DC-3 talked about in a previous post. The owner has spent two years restoring the plane. He was about two weeks from getting the plane in flight before the storm. He chained the landing gear to the tarmac for the storm. After the storm, the landing gear was still chained to the ground and the plane went through three hangars. (quote) As a pilot, I feel bad for your friend, and fellow pilots that lost their 'love'. On the other hand, I feel much worse for those that lost everything, or worse, their lives or the lives of loved ones. ... but a DC-3...that is kind of like losing a loved one, isn't it? They don't make them like that anymore. My class is having a discussion about this right now....I teach at High-Tech Institute and we were talking about Charley, the damage, loss of life and property. I mentioned the DC-3 to them and someone said...so what...it was an old airplane.... I told them that the plane was part of a breed that made a real contribution to the defeat of the Hitler Ilk....He happens to be a black student....He then said, you know, that plane *was* important....I probably wouldn't be here if the Allies had lost the war, Hitler didn't like blacks too much, did he? ....he too was then sad at it's loss.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center