Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Fri Aug 27 2004 05:13 AM
Re: Frances in Florida?

Go Noles

>>I post there partially because my major professor asked me if two cat. 4+ storms had ever made landfall in the U.S. in a year and partially because it's a scenario we could see play out over the remainder of this season, starting with Frances. It's a rarity folks, but it can happen.

Interesting points Clark. I see you're thinking along the same lines as I am. I told HF in a PM that 5 majors impacting the coast is a big stretch, but the idea of 5 landfalling canes in 2004 isn't by a long shot. The Gulf season (though Charley snuck in) hasn't even started. Sometimes we see June action and then go dry until late August through late October. We've got a long way to go.

One thing though - wasn't Bret a 4 at landfall near King's Ranch?

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center