LI Phil
(User)
Fri Aug 27 2004 04:16 PM
Re: Cat III Frances?

rmbjoe,

Frances will probably be upgraded to a CAT III at the 5:00; it might already be one now. Need to wait for the Dvoraks but they're probably 5.5/5.5 as we speak...CAT III status.

>>> Frances has slowed down. That could be a good thing for Florida as the impact from the ridge could direct it more towa rds the West, right? That would put PR, Hispaniola, and Cuba under the gun, right?

I think, at least for the time being, you have to stick with the NHC forecast...they have really been pretty spot on this year and I see no reason not to agree with the official track. Therefore, I don't see your scenario playing out for the moment. It's WAY to early to start guessing where Frances will go beyond five days (even then there are hundreds of miles of forecast error)...Stick with the NHC five day forecast for now, but realistically, the 72 hour 'window' is really the best bet.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center