LI Phil
(User)
Fri Aug 27 2004 09:54 PM
Re: Frances News Hype

Keith,

Isabel was never "perdicted" to hit Long Island; we did have TS warnings go up near the very end, but I don't even think we saw a TS gust. Regarding the media, however, you are exactly right. People around here old enough to remember Gloria fueled the frenzy and it didn't help that it was the hottest story for about four or five days.

Isabel sure scared the hell out of a lot of people and rightly so.

With regard to the CAT V hoopla, if that's what you're going to discuss, discuss away. To be honest, I have a feeling it will reach that intensity...all the right ingredients are there...excellent outflow boundaries...low shear environment (for now anyway)...strong bermuda high which will also increase outflow and cause strengthening...strong ridge forecasted to be in place...above average ssts. Let's just see how strong she gets. As I said a couple of days ago...a classic Cape Verde longtracker.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center