Ricreig
(User)
Sat Aug 28 2004 12:24 PM
Re: So far...Frances is on track

Quote:

All of us on the SE US coast need to watch. Here is what the NWS of Melborne had to say in its 5 am weather discussion:

NOTE TO USERS...PERSONS IN EC FL SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF
HURRICANE FRANCES CLOSELY THROUGH THE UPCOMING WEEK. THE LATEST NHC
FORECAST TRACK STRENGTHENS THIS ALREADY MAJOR (CATEGORY 3 ON SAFFIR
SIMPSON SCALE) HURRICANE EVEN FURTHER AS IT APPROACHES THE BAHAMAS
LATE WEDNESDAY.

I find this interesting also: http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_06.gif
It appears the NHC is betting on the southern models which take Frances much closer to S. Florida rather than the models showing a turn to a more northerly track. Having just gone through the eye of Charley here in E Orlando, several of my neighbors 'homes' (mobile home) are now in a dumpster...or the pieces are, and if Frances does hit almost anywhere on the E Coast of Florida, then recurves as the 'northern models' suggest, just later, this one could also find a way to add to the debris of my neighborhood using my now dented mobile home as additional missiles. I hope the NHC is wrong and it does recurve as some of these models suggest, but I fear they are right.

Does anyone have info about how well the UKMET model has done on this storm? It shows a bias toward Central East Coast of Florida. If the enclosed URL is any indication, the NHC and the UKMET are in close agreement.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center