Kevin
(Weather Master)
Sat Aug 28 2004 12:46 PM
Re: So far...Frances is on track

Although I can't tell you for sure how well the UKMET has done with Frances, I think that the model has had a right bias with Frances throughout the storm's entire life. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. So...the latest leftward shift is somewhat disturbing. This is the second or third run of the UKMET that has taken the storm more towards the left. Here's a good graphical representation of some of the models:
http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_06.gif
You can see the UKMET model track, a track that will either cause Frances to make landfall in EC Florida or a very close brush. The tropical models, the two BAMM outputs, look alright track-wise but also seem to be a little slower. The BAMMs are better for storms in the deep tropics. The GFDL, well, is an outlier. Its track shows that the model may not have a very good handle on the high pressure system that will be anchored north of Frances.

So, there's still plenty of time to watch, but this storm has some hints of Floyd to me. If you have 7-day longwave spacing, then we should have another trough approaching the eastern US in another 7 days...next Saturday. How close Frances is along with her exact position will determine the effects on Florida, if any.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center