LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 29 2004 03:18 AM
Re: Forecasted slowdown in forward speed

According to Norcross. Said that it seems NHC expects Frances to go a little slower as it approaches bahamas/florida and there fore they pulled back timing so cone looks further offshore.

Reiterated ...could go NW at that point or keep coming.

Said... Gaston could leave slowly and leave a low pressure area between the two highs (one over SE US and one over Atlantic) and Frances could take it or... Gaston leaves faster and the high fuses together. (my own wording to shorten a long explanation) eww.. anyway..

So... that was what I understood was the change.

Storms often stall there when steering currents slip away. Betsy, Bonnie and I think Donna stalled a bit too.

Had thought of 1893 track when thinking Frances could turn north just off shore but... didnt realize that the year I think has other similar tracks. Will see. Hate to put it there.. felt sick thinking on it however.. deaths at that time were caused by no warning and people living on low lying barrier islands.. which would be different as far as loss of human life vs economic impact.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center