Ricreig
(User)
Tue Aug 31 2004 12:28 AM
Re: NHC Track

Quote:

Oh Heck...the problem I am now faced with is which direction to plan my evacuation?

In the increasingly likely event that almost any of the 'somewhere in Florida' tracks including the current NHC forecast pan out, plus or minus a hundred miles, this just in:

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 140 MILES...220 KM.

That means essentially the entire state will see hurricane force winds...this babe is 140 miles across in the windy zone and 280 miles in the breezy zone. If it does hit MLB, Orlando and Tampa will already both be experiencing hurricane winds and points south to about FLL would probably feel them also. A miss to the East of a hundred miles would still allow ORL and JAX to get 74+ winds not to mention the 'worlds most famos beach', the oldest city in the US (they say) and of course, the home of the shuttle. Someone today at work said 'that is a bit negative isn't it Mr. C.' I said, no, it's not negative, I'm positive the brown muschey stuff is gonna hit the fan, and we don't even need the fan.

Someone asked a bit ago, "Where can I evacuate to?". I'm sorry, it really looks like unless you have friends in Texas, you could have Frances stuck to your posterior from NY to LA depending on track. There really isn't a good answer except to start looking now for high ground, away from water and in a building with good construction and thick walls, have plenty of candles and non-perishable food on hand (and tied down), and most of all, several gallons of drinkable water per person. Water, drinking water, may be the most valuable item after shelter. Medicine, pet food, clothing and blankets could come in handy for a lot of people within 50-100 miles of wherever it comes ashore. Oy yeah, and pray, if you believe it will help, that no tornados touch your hiding hole. ... and do it yesterday, not waiting till everything is sold out. Oh, and don't forget the stinkin' can opener!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center