LI Phil
(User)
Tue Aug 31 2004 12:33 AM
NRL, RNC

Bugs, both my main link to the NRL & my FNMOC backup are down...can't imagine why.

>>> I wouldn't even venture into the city today even, us (LI Phil and me) are very worried about the fate of the city.

While I agree with the first part of your statement, about not venturing into the City (dats what we Lon Guylanders call it), I'm not particularly worried about the fate of the city. RNC, US Open Tennis (which is right next to Shea Stadium), local baseball...what a mess.

Coupla things, as long as I'm posting. I'm not too confident in much with this storm (Frances), but I am pretty confident of two things. US Mainland Strike and eventual recurvature (ie no Gulf mischief). Whether she recurves prior to a Florida landfall is the $50 billion question. For all you under the gun, I sure hope it does recurve, but then you're just shifting the danger further north. However, since FL has already taken a CAT IV this year, I vote we shift the danger north.

Second, this storm will definitely regain CAT IV status...question is...what status will it be at as landfall nears? That too is the $50 billion question. As rickonboat stated earlier, CAT IV's can be catastrophic (I didn't know that), and the damage inflicted is not additive but multiplicative.

Until Wednesday at the earliest, all we can do is watch and wait (and for anyone under the gun, PREPARE!). I'm sure NHC will slightly shift tracks with each update. Listen to them...they are the experts. Gas up the vehicle, batten down the hatches, whatever you need to do...

And last but not least, as long as we're bashing Frances, did you know that Maginot means "Welcome" in French?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center