doug
(Weather Analyst)
Tue Aug 31 2004 01:21 PM
Re: hole in the wall?

Good morning all: another exciting day and the Hurricane of the moment continues west at 15mph...which should keep us interested...
I don't have the time for this but having lived through Donna in 1960 I wonder why the historic trac of that significant storm and this one are not being compared? The timing and the path are similar. The question that needs to be researched if possible is what if any similarity in synoptic features that influenced the trac of Donna exist in the current pattern
Can any one point to any graphic data that can quickly be accessed so we can look at that? This is not just an idle curiosity...
The influence of the ULL to the west on the trac of Frances cannot be under estimated. It has not retreated wes as much as the storm has advanced west and this can account for the GFS and GFDL stall over the Bahamas...
In my opinion if the ULL gets out of the way Frances will stay on a pathe slightly West of WNW into the gulf and a Donna like turn will occur as the trough approaches.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center