alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 31 2004 07:14 PM
Re: could it be?

I was looking at the water vapor loop and it looked as if the trough is not moving further south. Is the trough currently starting at New Orleans and moving NE across Alabama the deciding factor or is it one behind that.

The reason I ask is with Charley, the trough extended way into the GOM. This one doesn't seem to be moving further south than New Orleans.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but an ULL will put a hurricane approaching from the west, as in this case, would be pulled to the north. After all, upper level winds would be going counterclockwise and upper level winds are the steering for the hurricanes. That would mean Frances would get tugged from 5 p.m toward midnight.

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center