Bev
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 02 2004 04:36 PM
Charley Lessons... the hard way.

I was in Arcadia when Charley's eye came straight through. It was still Cat IV and terrifying.

A few more tips:

1. Fill every possible recepticle with water. Tubs, washing machine, buckets. We had no running water for a week and then it was muddy for another week. Even if you don't drink the water, you can use it for washing.

2. A bottle of bleach. 8 drops to one gallon of water, shake and let it sit for half an hour makes it potable.

3. We reinforced our garage door by putting 2 x 4's against it and then backing the cars up to them to press tightly on the door from both inside and outside. We couldn't figure a better way to brace it and this worked. Lost part of roof but flimsy old garage door held. :-)

4. DON'T venture out during winds "just to check". One man did that here and was killed by flying aluminum and another did the same and was killed by an oak limb.

5. DON'T take for granted that the NHC forecast is right on target until an hour before landfall. Forecast was for Manatee County right up until an hour before it hit 75 miles South of the predicted landfall point. Not the NHC's fault. These things have a mind of their own!

6. If you start feeling winds, don't try to go anywhere. It's already too late. We saw so many people stuck in cars. No motel rooms. Not a good place to ride out the storm.

7. My ears popped and my head hurt intensely during the worst of the storm. I'd never heard of that and it scared the daylights out of me. It's normal due to the rapid pressure changes and it will pass once the storm does.

8. Get Cash. Get Cash. Get Cash. I can't stress this enough. Even when stores reopen they can't process credit cards without phones/electric. ATM's don't work either.

9. Tarps. Purchase 2 large ones in case you do have damage. Repairs are slow in coming when every single person needs work done, including the homes of the workers. These can help keep you dry over the weeks waiting for repairs.

Our prayers are with you all.

-Bev

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center