Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Sep 02 2004 07:49 PM
question from Gainesville

Hi... I remember hearing how you want to OPEN certain windows sometimes when a tornado is approaching. Assuming we get 80-90 mph sustained winds here, and one of my windows breaks, is it ever a good idea to open more to allow the air to flow through, instead of too much pressure building up inside the house, possibly lifting off the roof? I am surrounded by trees, as is most of Gainesville, which could cause other, possibly worse problems than some broken windows. I am in a fairly strong cement block house from the mid-50s. Putting up plywood is not really an option for me. Even if I wanted to, I believe most of the wood has sold out aleady. People here seem to be stocking up on supplies, but not really covering windows. Thanks for any help.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center