AgentB
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 02 2004 09:18 PM
Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic

Well Frances sure has made up some ground to the north over the last few hours. Moving .7 degrees north and .9 degrees north from 11am to 5pm today. By contrast she moved .3 degrees north and 1.2 degrees west in the same timespan yesterday. However, she also appears to be slowing some which is probably a factor of her interaction with the land and shallower water that she is now around, what appears to be another eyewall movement and her feeling her way along that ridge to the north. In looking at several of the surface models, as well as, upper level winds I did expect a decent jog to the north sometime today and/or tonight. It appeared to me that the trof out to the west of Frances, back over by the Pensacola area and a little west, had maybe weakened the ridge just a little. Enough that she could track further north than she had previously. However, I don't see this becoming a trend as I believe that the ridge will strengthen again and cause her to resume the more WNW motion she has exhibited for a number of days, at least since last Saturday. In fact, just on the latest satellite view she appears to "correct" herself and shift back closer to just north of due west. These wobbles will likely continue up until the time she makes landfall.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center