dhcp
(Registered User)
Thu Sep 02 2004 10:57 PM
Restore the sanity.. PLEASE!!!!

Hello. I have veiwed this site for quite awhile now, although, this is my first time posting here.. first, allow me to thank the founders and participants of this website for making such an honest effort into predicting the movement of these horrendous storms...

I live in New Port Richey (Pasco County) and I am fed up with FEMA, local emergency management agencies, NOAA, NHC, and most local meterologists.. I'm not sure how many of you live within the Tampa Bay area but let me tell you, when Hurriicane Charley failed to make landfall anywhere within it, it's incredible how disappointed the media agencies were.. they failed to realize they were the ones that HYPED the projected path into the Tampa area.. as you all know, Tampa Bay has been spared a direct hit by a major hurricane for years.. as soon as the local stations who pushed and pressed and swore it was coming this way were wrong, they were quick to defend themselves while expressing disappointment.. an almost impossible position to assume.. one of their replies was something along the lines of "these are just computer models.. computers like humans can be wrong" .. well no sh*t.. the problem isn't that the computer model was wrong.. the problem is, these people WANTED and HOPED the storm hit here.. its all about television network.. sad they value ratings and excitement over peoples safety, lives, and our beautiful communities that would have been merely destroyed, especially in Pinellas since it is surronded by 3 bodies of water..

That storm did not drop an ounce of rain in Pinellas or Pasco Counties nor did it really damper Hillsborough or Hernando Counties.. now the day after the storm we were hit hard.. but the entire bay area was shutdown completely for almost 2 full days.. unnecessary evacuations were ordered.. people were panicing and chaos was resident.. then when Charley made landfall down south basically where it was ORIGINALLY forecasted to cross the east coast, people were really angry.. I know I was..

it's hard to appreciate the efforts of real meterologists today because most of them are all about ratings and the coverage.. they feel important that thousands of people are relying on what they're forecasting and know their opinion is valued.. its ashame that such important judgement can be so clouded by a camera and the thrill of natural disaster waiting to happen..

Over the past two seasons I"ve learned to appreciate websites that are run and owned by enthusiasts... its obvious you guys do not want to intentionally misrepresent data or opinion but want to offer a clear and accurate path as to where the storm is headed.. I really appreciate that, very much..

schools here in Pinellas and Pasco are closed tomorrow.. don't get me wrong but we're overpreparing.. it's my belief if this storm crosses through the bay area that by the time it does, it will be within the category 1 - category 2 stage on the S/S scale.. furthermore, it is clearly obvious it is not going to make landfall tomorrow never the less pose any kind of safety risk to Pasco or Pinellas County Friday or Friday night.. Pinellas has by far the absolute worst emergency management service in existence.. sure its a small and densley populated county.. but to close schools a day before it hits hundreds of miles away on the other coast?

absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.. Walmart here on US Highway 19 in Port Richey will be closed as of midnight Friday and they are boarding up their stores.. that is foolish.. these storms have caused nothing but chaos and panic and the media is directly responsible.. NOAA and the weather channel doesn't help..

just keep it real guys, like you always have.. adversity in a situation like this is probably the most logical and level headed approach one can have.. people were buying up water today left & right locally.. guys, I LIVE IN NEW PORT RICHEY.. NOT PALM BEACH COUNTY or the liking.. its never a bad thing to be fully supplied but jesus.. give me a break.. some of the severe weather storms we have in the summertime are of more intesity.. outrageous, completely outrageous.. the east coast clearly has a reason to fear and worry... the west coast has a reason to be alert.... thats about it..

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center