Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Sep 02 2004 11:57 PM
Re: Sats...

Hurricaned -- probably just a bit south of the NHC forecast. See the graphic with the first post in this thread and shift it ever so slightly south, and you have my thinking. I'm also not too sure about the sharp turn it is forecast to take again once over water; I think a more gradual turn is more likely with this storm. A track similar to Erin 95, with a more southerly route across the peninsula and a slightly further east landfall in the panhandle, is along the lines of what I'm thinking right now.

Latest recon found 948mb pressure, but also an eye that is open SW-N and 20mi. in diameter. Surprised the winds are still as high as they are, but I think part of it is that the NHC wants to cover themselves in case the storm reintensifies in the next day or so. San Salvador only reported 120mph winds, meaning sustained winds are probably now in that ballpark, but if the NHC went down there now, it'd get a few people needlessly off-guard in Florida.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center